Friday, November 14, 2014

The smell of insulin

It's diabetes awareness month and as a sufferer, I feel it's my duty to help raise awareness. After all, if I can't be my own advocate I can hardly hope for it from others!

This list of annoyances ring true for me, even if it only scratches the surface of the dark well of emotion that sometimes surrounds the disease. Of this list, the smell of insulin is especially real for me. It's a smell I associate with sickness and disease. A repulsive reminder of how I'm different. I worry other people will smell it on me and feel the same way. It's paranoia, I hope, but there it is. I wonder what I can do to change my attitude about the association? At least I know I'm not alone.

Anyway, now you're aware of one of the little hardships. Thanks to Lesley for sending this to me.

1 comment:

  1. I have never noticed the smell of insulin even though I have been around when you have changed your pump. I hate that you have diabetes and wish I could "make it all go away." I can't express how much I appreciate your taking your blood sugar levels seriously so that you can live a good life for many years to come. Thank you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete